Pepperpot is an Amerindian-derived dish popular in Guyana. It is traditionally served at Christmas and other special events.
- 1 lb stewing beef or 1 lb beef brisket
- 1 lb pork, trotters (or cow’s heels) (optional)
- 1⁄2 lb pigs tail (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup amerindian seasoning (cassareep)
- 1 red hot pepper
- 1 cinnamon stick (1 in x 1 in)
- 1 ounce sugar
- 2 stalks basil
- 1 bunch fine fresh thyme
- 1 large chopped onion
- 3 chopped garlic cloves
- Soak pig tails and scald.
- Cook cow heel or trotters in covered pan with water to boil.
- When half tender add all the other meats hot water to cover.
- Add all other ingredients and simmer gently for about one hour until meat is tender.
- Adjust flavor with salt and sugar.